Shop All Diamond Jewellery
Diamonds are forever and, as the world’s toughest gemstone, are the ideal investment pieces for an everlasting legacy.
When it comes to purchasing Diamond jewellery, it’s important to consider your personal taste and style, as well as what you plan to do with it later in life, whether that be selling it on or passing it down to future generations.
Regardless of your plan for your Diamond piece, there are a whole range of things to consider before investing in such a precious piece of jewellery. But, fear not! Because we have you covered.
Here at Gemporia, we understand the importance of finding an item that you love not only on the day you receive it, but for years to come. Additionally, we also realise that, if you’re choosing to invest in a legacy piece, you want to make sure you’re getting absolutely everything you want - which is where we come in!
So, we’ve put together a fool-proof guide on some of the things to consider before purchasing an investment piece of Diamond jewellery.
THE DIAMOND’S VALUE
As with any other gemstone, the most important thing to do before buying a Diamond jewellery piece is to understand its true value.
Gemstones (particularly Diamonds) are classified and valued based on the four C’s - carat, clarity, colour and cut. To break it down further:
- Carat weight refers to the gem’s size and weight, and determines the size and appearance of the jewellery piece
- Not to be confused with ‘karat’, which is used to determine the purity of gold
- The carat weight of the Diamond influences its price more than its overall appearance
- For a more secure long-term investment, a Diamond with a larger carat weight is beneficial
SHOP UP TO HALF A CARAT DIAMONDS
SHOP OVER HALF A CARAT DIAMONDS
- This refers to the interior and exterior flaws that a Diamond has. The interior flaws are known as inclusions, and the outer flaws are known as blemishes
- The fewer imperfections the Diamond has, the better its clarity
- As well as coming in pure white, Diamonds can also form in other colours such as yellow, pink, green, blue and black
- Gemstone colours tend to be classified on a GIA (Gemological Institute of America) Colour Grading System that runs from D to Z, with D being ‘completely colourless’ and Z being ‘very discoloured’
- Gemstones belonging to categories D to K are considered to be the most valuable
- When setting gemstones into pieces of jewellery, they first need to be cut and polished - and Diamonds are no exception
- The Diamond’s cut determines its brilliance - when the stone is well-cut, the light enters and reflects back out of it and creates a unique sparkle
- The cut of a Diamond directly affects its financial value
- The Diamond cut grades include Ideal/Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair and Poor
LEARN MORE ABOUT OUR GEMSTONE CUTTING
YOUR OWN FINANCES
Jewellery is a commonly-bought item. However, if you plan to make a proper investment into Diamond and gemstone jewellery, it’s important to make sure you are able to afford it.
Like with any investment, your money should come from a fund that you will not miss anytime soon, as it could take a number of years to get this investment back.
Aside from being gorgeous pieces to wear, Diamonds can turn a profit if you plan on investing in one to sell it on later. But, with that in mind, you must have a margin for safety.
Either way, Diamonds are considered a secure investment for a number of reasons:
- They’re protected against inflation
- They (along with Gold) are the only internationally-accepted alternative currency that keeps the same value all over the world
- Strong supply and demand
- Bankruptcy proof
- Little to no maintenance costs
- Price independent of government laws, therefore they better retain their value even during a recession
These are just a few general reasons as to why Diamonds are a good investment, particularly if your plan for your Diamond piece is to sell it later on.
Sometimes known as the fifth C, certification is arguably one of the most important parts of buying jewellery of any gemstone, but particularly Diamonds due to their prestige.
One of the worst (and easiest) mistakes to make when jewellery shopping, particularly for a valuable purchase, is to not receive a certificate determining its true quality.
Luckily for you, you receive a certificate with every Gemporia purchase for you to keep safe. It contains a full description of the item you’ve bought including where the gemstones were found, as well as a QR code to scan with our app for more information.
It’s important to keep this certificate safe, as it will be extremely useful in years to come when you need to prove the authenticity and value of your Diamond.
THE OTHER FACTORS
Aside from the four C’s, many other factors contribute to the overall value of a piece of Diamond jewellery.
The shape of the stone, where it comes from and the metal it’s set in all have a stake in how much the piece is worth. Whether it’s Silver, Gold or Platinum, the metal you choose for your jewellery is just as important as the stone:
- The most affordable precious metal, best suited for everyday and occasional wear
- Soft and easily bendable, so not a preferred choice for long-term investment pieces
SHOP DIAMONDS AND SILVER
- Slightly more expensive than Silver, and more sturdy
- Available in different colours (White, Yellow and Rose Gold), and different purities from 9K to 18K
- Versatile and suitable for all occasions
SHOP DIAMONDS AND GOLD
- The world’s toughest precious metal, and the most expensive
- Perfect for investment pieces, such as engagement rings, wedding bands and heirloom jewellery
SHOP DIAMONDS AND PLATINUM
When it comes to investing in Diamond jewellery, the most important and valuable tip we can give you is to do your research. Speaking to experts such as ourselves will ensure that you get the best quality Diamond to either make a profit on later in life or pass down to your loved ones.
A second opinion can give you greater confidence in the piece that you’ve bought, and will give you the clarity you need in purchasing a piece that you love and can be proud of.
As the world’s most precious gemstone, and with its international value, Diamonds can be an incredibly secure investment. However, this also means that every single factor must be considered before purchasing something so valuable - and that’s where we come in!
With our years of experience and expertise, we can help you on your journey to making the perfect Diamond purchase. With the right knowledge and the right people behind you, you really can’t go wrong.
Shop All Diamond Jewellery